“Active Learning Approaches“
Liberty Kids are proud to embed the principles of active learning approaches through both ‘Realising the Ambition: Being Me’ for our very youngest children and ‘Curriculum of Excellence – Early Years’ for our preschoolers.
Realising the Ambition – What is this?
‘Realising the Ambition: Being Me’ builds upon the original principles and philosophy of Pre-Birth to 3 and Building the Ambition.
This refreshed early years national practice guidance for Scotland presents key information about the characteristics of child development based on research and evidence.
It explores the range of ‘interactions, experiences and spaces’ we need to provide for babies and young children to help them learn and grow best from their earliest days through to being a young child in early primary school.
In essence, ‘Realising the Ambition: Being Me’ increases expectations of high quality but still provides the necessary support for all who work in the early years sector and beyond.
Curriculum of Excellence – What is this?
Children learn by doing, thinking, exploring, through high quality interactions and trusted relationships, founded on our children’s interests and abilities across a variety of contexts. All combining to building the four capacities for each child.
Liberty Kids ensure that our environments that offer differential play and challenge, practioners who are well informed and able to challenge learning, child-centred and building on previous experiences. Practitioners who ensure its fun which is absolutely essential and that children planning and evaluating their own learning.
The early years CfE focuses ‘Active Learning’ to support children’s development of the four capacities in many ways. Fore example the children can develop and be:-
- Successful Learners – through using their imagination and creativity, tackling new experiences and learning from them, and developing important skills including literacy and numeracy through exploring and investigating while following their own interests.
- Confident Individuals – through succeeding in their activities, having the satisfaction of a task accomplished, learning about bouncing back from setbacks, and dealing safely with risk.
- Responsible Citizens – through encountering different ways of seeing the world, learning to share and give and take, learning to respect themselves and others, and taking part in making decisions.
- Effective Contributors – through playing together in leading or supporting roles, tackling problems, extending communication skills, taking part in sustained talking and thinking, and respecting the opinions of others.
Liberty Kids underpin our active approach to learning, focusing on:
- Progression in children’s development and learning.
- Supporting continuity in learning and development.
- The environment for learning, staff and resources.
- The involvement of parents.
- Continuing professional development for our team.